Toward Sustainable Groundwater in Agriculture - An International Conference Linking Science and Policy
Subscribe here if you want to receive conference updates via email (abstract submittal, registration, program information, etc.).
June 17-20, 2024
(We have a new conference website for the 2024 conference)
The 2016 Conference
The conference featured discussions about threats to groundwater, such as overuse; salinity; nonpoint source pollution from agricultural activities, animal farming, agricultural groundwater impacts to surface water; and groundwater quality and quantity conflicts at the urban-rural interface, which have reached global dimensions and threaten the very livelihood of this planet. Challenges, opportunities, and successful solutions in the technical and policy fields were highlighted. The conference offered a unique opportunity for networking across disciplines.
Session topics explored a broad diversity but related set of issues at the groundwater-agriculture nexus (see 2016 Agenda):
- Groundwater Management and Policy
- California's Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA)
- Nitrate policy, assessment, and monitoring
- Nonpoint source pollution from animal agriculture
- Groundwater-dependent ecosystems and groundwater-surface water interaction
- Managed aquifer recharge
- Energy-water-food nexus
- Environmental justice and livelihood
- Climate change and adaptation
- Economics and policy
- Salinity and salinity policy
- Emerging contaminants
- Modeling and data (groundwater quantity/management/quality)
- Agricultural BMPs for groundwater resources quantity and/or quality protection
- USDA National Insights and Actions
The over 300 attendees included:
- agricultural leaders/advocates/extension trainers in local/regional/state organizations
- groundwater managers and technical personnel in local and regional water agencies
- regulatory and planning agency personnel in regional/state/federal agencies
- consultants in engineering, hydrology/hydrogeology, and agricultural resources management
- scientists, researchers, and students with interests at the groundwater-agriculture nexus
- NGOs working in environment, environmental justice, and agriculture
The Foundation and UC Davis sponsored a similar conference in 2010. The 2016 conference was held June 28-30 at the same location – the Hyatt Regency at the San Francisco Airport in Burlingame. Pre-conference workshops were held Monday, June 27.
Available Resources from the 2010 Conference
- 2010 Conference Program
- 2010 Compendium of abstracts
- 2010 IAH Newsletter - Conference Summary
- 2010 GRAC's Hydrovisions - Conference Summary
- Michael Campana's conference blog for 2010 day 1, day 2, or day 3.
- Special Issue "Toward Sustainable Groundwater in Agriculture", Water Resources Research, 48(6), 2012.
For questions regarding this website, please email Dr. Thomas Harter